PBI & The Dodd Trophy
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and The Dodd Trophy: A Perfect Pair
These days, college football has ”Coach of the Year“ awards coming from every corner, with little to distinguish one from another. One coaching award, however, stands head and shoulders above the rest. The Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year presented by the Peach Bowl, Inc. (known as The Dodd Trophy) honors a coach’s success on and off the gridiron.
The Dodd Trophy, named for legendary Georgia Tech coach Bobby Dodd, was established in 1976 to honor the FBS football coach whose program represents three pillars of success: Scholarship, Leadership and Integrity. The award honors the coach of team with a successful season on the field and equally as important, stresses the importance of academic excellence and desire to give back to the community.
In 2013, Peach Bowl, Inc. officially assumed the management and promotion of this prestigious award. Peach Bowl, Inc. collaborates with the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation to elevate and increase exposure of the Dodd Trophy. The mutually beneficial partnership, gives what has been called the ”Heisman Trophy“ of coaching a national platform that only a College Football Playoff bowl game can provide including a national fan voting component, an ongoing ’watch list’ and elevated exposure during the bowl game itself. Each year, Peach Bowl, Inc. hosts the recipients of the Dodd Trophy in Atlanta for a special winner’s banquet, a celebration of the exclusive fraternity of past winners. Last year’s dinner welcomed back Bobby Bowden, Vince Dooley, Bill Curry, Fred Goldsmith, Ken Hatfield, LaVell Edwards, Dick Sheridan, Ralph Friedgan and others. Peach Bowl, Inc. and the Dodd Trophy recognize and celebrate scholarship, leadership and integrity now and into the future.
Peach Bowl, Inc.
Peach Bowl, Inc. is the 501(c)3 organization that owns and operates the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge charity golf tournament, manages the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award and was the original recruiter and founding sponsor of the new College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. PBI was originally founded by the Georgia Lion’s Club in 1967 and hosted its first NCAA-sanctioned Peach Bowl game in Atlanta in 1968.
Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Foundation: Board of Directors
- James Arnett – Merrill Lynch
- Tony Barnhart – Active Media
- Judge Timothy C. Batten, Sr. – United States District Judge
- William R. Collins, Jr. – Retired
- Steve Copeland – Shepco Paving, Inc.
- Gene Cork – Cork-Howard Construction Company
- Bill Curry – Retired
- James R. Dellinger, Jr. – Dellinger Management Services, LLC
- John Dewberry – Dewberry Capital Corporation
- David H. Flint – Schreeder, Wheeler and Flint, LLP
- Richard Harrell – Corey Companies
- Ben Harris – Retired
- Justin Honaman – Georgia-Pacific
- Ralph Kytan – Kytan Enterprises
- Dan Reeves – Retired NFL Head Coach
- Homer Rice – Retired
- Jacqueline Royster – Georgia Tech
- Lucius Sanford – GTAA
- Bill Shaw – Retired, Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Bob Somers – Delta Air Lines
- Gary Stokan – Peach Bowl, Inc.
- Grant Teaff – Retired
- Jim Terry – Dodd Foundation
- Reginald Wilkes – Janney Montgomery Scott, LLC
- Chris Womack – Southern Company
- Tim M. Woodall – Retired